Wednesday 26 January 2011

Day 3 - Recording session with Dave Draper

Well today was the last day of my recording session with Dave Draper.  In the morning, Dave spent some time mixing Harlequin and also added a few more bits here and there to make it even more uplifting!  Then we moved onto the recording of the main vocals for Siren, Radar and Hologram, which was done in stages so as not to knacker the old voice out.

Later in the afternoon, we basically sat down and went through, with not too much of a fine toothed-comb, finalising all of the tracks.  The main vocals we recorded earlier in the day, was then mixed and again a little bit of magic dust was sprinkled over them to give it that extra kick.   We also decided to experiment with a few ideas for backing vocals and harmonies and they've turned out fanstastic. 

When I first contacted Dave, my initial thoughts were that I just wanted your basic drum set, bass guitar and electric guitar set-up but I guess you don't really know how things will pan out once you get creative heads together and see where your muse takes you.  Our muse took us down the complete opposite route and we've ended up with a full-on production sound using electronic samples, whilst maintaining an acoustic feel.

I feel that this whole experience for me has been a major learning curve in terms of how things are musically put together.  When people are listening to new music and say they don't like it but without giving a valid reason why, it just proves that they aren't "listening" properly.  There's so much bloody hard work that goes into making music that people just don't realise.  I think that's why I love discovering new bands and singers cuz I can listen as well as feel a song.

Feeling a bit sad now actually as it just seems to be over in a flash, so I'd better get writing some more songs and start saving the pennies!  I have, however, come away with some badass tracks that I'm extremely proud of!! 

A big THANK YOU to Dave for lending me your musical expertise AND also a big THANKS to Elly!

Now it's time for the next stage....!!!

Thanks again for reading folks - love ya, Sarah, xxx!

2 comments:

  1. I heard sneaky peeks today! Sounding awesome Sarah. Looking forward to buying a copy :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, after I heard you play on Sunday evening, I would say it's not too long before you're well on your way to stardom now that you're "standing alone" so to speak baby girl xxx

    ReplyDelete